Pages

Tuesday, March 15

The Plan


So, as it sits now, Japan and my future in it sits in limbo. With the Nuclear Power Plant (原子力発電所) melting down, radiation is a huge fear amongst the people. More so, the shortage of food and water makes life that much more troublesome.

Luckily, I live in a dorm where breakfast and dinner are provided. That takes a huge burden off our shoulders; for lunch, however, we are on our own. That's fine most of the time, but with the power conservation a lot of businesses have been closed -- from our local Wal-mart (called Seiyu here) to our McDonald's. Today they were open, thankfully. It seems most establishments are choosing to be open every-other day. Japan is amazing in its uniting around power conservation -- perhaps only in Japan.

Several of my Uni friends have decided to leave, which leaves me in a precarious spot. Do I leave or Do I go? (Isn't that a song? haha)

If I leave, I guarantee my safety from radiation, tsunamis, and further earthquakes. But, I will sacrifice a semester of my college career -- then I'll graduate in December of 2012 (My 111th Birthday!) More so, I'll be in danger of forfeiting my financial aid -- most of which went to lodging and my recent Grand Adventure around Western Honshu -- and am not able to pay it back. Lastly, if I leave, I can't come back (not soon anyway). Some fellow Koganei lads have left to return before school starts in April -- I simply lack the funds to do that.

Now, if I stay I will continue my studies on time, get better in Japanese (next semester I am joining the intensive class), and make more Japanese friends. However, I allow myself the danger of radiation, tsunamis, and further earthquakes. Since the major earthquake, we've had several aftershocks -- some of which strong enough to wake EVEN ME up. Radiation isn't a huge problem right now, the cloud is staying to the north and blowing northward. The tsunami, unless we're talking Deep Impact, won't get me. Earthquakes... yeah, those get me all the time. Also, in staying, I get to partake in the food shortage and rolling blackouts -- but, I have food at the dorm provided by Sophia University.

It's a precarious situation, indeed. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the matter. Leave a comment and tell me what you think. I'm making my decision at the end of this week on whether I stay or not. Keep in mind, I really want to stay; but, I'm wondering, is the writing on the wall?


Till next time, Wizards(?)!

3 comments:

  1. I say return. It's not worth your life, in my opinion.

    ~Justin/Kbob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go home. I'm even going home and I'm in the SAME situation as you- money and all. Go home- a semester of school isn't worth your life- especially with the earthquake we JUST had. We have no clue if it affected the reactors more or if we're going to start flooding...

    Jasmine Stoecker

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, of course, would get my a$$ home, lol. But, I also understand about the money aspect of it to. Of coming home, and going back when school starts back. What kinda money would be needed? We could try and raise some money to help with flight tickets. I would be the first to donate in doing that. Let me know man. We could start something up on FB. Just an idea.

    ReplyDelete