Pages

Friday, December 3

These past few weeks, and what a few weeks they were...

My Dad and Rob came to visit me in Japan for the American holiday known as Thanksgiving. The hypocritical holiday where the Indigenous people saved the pilgrims from starving to death before driving the indigenous people from their land. Regardless, it is a holiday where you are to be with family and has transitioned into "togetherness time" rather than nonsensical "Thanks for giving" I've always interpreted it to be.

They arrived about two weeks ago and departed Tuesday, for a 10-day excursion into Japan's mega-metropolis. Unfortunately for me, I had school and mid-terms to deal with. So, I couldn't accompany them on every adventure. But, the expeditions I did manage to tag-along on were stellar. We traveled to farthest reaches of Tokyo -- even left it once! Many a Shrines were visited and Buddhas praised to. Witnessed a Shinto wedding and a Buddhist funeral, both of which were fascinating. My favorite night with them had to be at a Yakiniku -- you cook your own food on a tiny grill in the table -- called Gut's Soul. We drank together and ate together in a glorious appreciation to the Tobehodai and Nomihodai (All you can eat and drink) spirits! Our Shintoism would be proud.

Midterms are nearly done. I have one left to do, and it's a presentation. My presentation is on post-war Chinese sentiments on Japan -- I'm using Ip Man and Fist of Fury as evidence! I did fairly poorly on my Japanese midterm -- I still passed. In America, I aced the hell out of my Japanese tests and finals. Here, I'm barely able to maintain B's. Now, I know that may sound elitist of me; let me assure you that is not my intention. I work quite hard at attaining my grades. The level of difficulty at Sophia in their Japanese program seems high, and from what I've been told it is. I feel as if my Japanese is so inadequate. Like, I can understand what people are saying to me, but sometimes I'm a bit slow on the answer -- if I answer at all. More so, people who ask questions in class seem to be able to just ask in Japanese. Now, I understand their question, but asking it in Japanese... Man. I was complimented by a fellow Koganeiate (Koganei + Dorm-mate = Koganeiate) that my Japanese was "one of the better one's in the dorm." I hear this and think it insincere, only because there are people so much better than me at it! I know that certainly isn't his intention -- and his Japanese is freaking great, so I hold it in high regard when I heard the compliment -- but that's just my thoughts on it. I do know that my Japanese IS getting better, and the stuff I'm learning in class I can apply where-ever. The midterm definitely lit a fire under my ass, I will not "barely" pass -- I will assuredly pass.

With midterms (mostly) done and Dad & Rob leaving, things have returned to normalcy. I was beginning to miss my room. I kept thinking of my room as "Home." That's a good thing, readers. A good thing. I'm comfortable here. And my "loneliness" is subsiding. I no longer feel as if I missed important male-bonding time due to my hospitalization. This all sounds rather "emo" but I assure you I am quite happy! Today, even, I put on my clothes feeling good. Traversed Shibuya and Ochanomizu with a smile on my face.

This post has been rather deep. But, it's invariably my blog and that's what's on my mind. Deep sociological self-examination (not the good kind, either). That was a masturbation joke, not an emo-philosophical rambling, haha.

I'm going to be launching a Flicker account soon and I'll be posting pictures there. I'll set up the link in due time.

Until next time,

-Gregor

No comments:

Post a Comment